La Purisima Mission State Historic Park welcomes students and educators to California’s most completely restored mission. Acres of open space, rebuilt and furnished adobe rooms, and livestock combine for a unique mission experience. Several different programs are offered allowing classes a choice of learning experiences.
The following free programs are available by Reservation ONLY
Guided Tours are for classes up to 60 students. Length: ~ 1 mile Time: ~ 1.5 to 2 hours. Click here for Guided Tour Application.
Self-Guided Tours are for classes up to 60 students. Self-guided tour maps are available for $1 per map in the Visitor Center. Click here for Self-Guided Tour Application.
Outreach Programs - We bring the Mission to your classroom! (within about 40 miles) Subjects include:
- Kindergarten & First Grade -- Pelts of the local wildlife; Face Painting - Indian Designs; Brief Chumash History; Indian Legends; Chumash whistles.
- 3rd Grade -- Chumash History; hunting, fishing, beliefs; knowledge of their world; Indian Legends; Pelts of the local wildlife.
- 4th Grade -- Chumash Culture; Mission Influence; Chumash Cultural Change; Pelts of the local wildlife (optional); Weaving - from Fleece to Loom
Contact Us for information and reservations.
Station Tours and Student Learning History Days are offered on specific dates throughout the school year and reservations are mandatory. Required fee is $2 per student.
Student Learning History Days (SLHD 4 hours)
10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Each SLHD program serves approximately 750 4th grade students. Self-guided groups visit the mission to observe and interact with costumed docents and staff. Students may discover: corn grinding, tortilla cooking, weaving, candle making, blacksmithing, soldiers, padres, Chumash Indian games, etc. This program is filled with hands-on activities which bring the Mission to life in a way your students will not soon forget. We strongly discourage the use of worksheets for this reason. Worksheets get in the way of the purpose of this program which is to have students take in the Mission, demonstrations, and opportunities to touch, feel, smell, taste, and play. If using a worksheet to enhance your students' mission experience, design them for use in the classroom or bus ride. Thank you for your cooperation. SLHD events open at 10:00 a.m. and close at 2:00 p.m.
To ensure a quality experience for you and your students each Student Learning History Day event is limited to 750 students (additional space is allotted for chaperones and teachers). The dates of the program are NOT published to make sure schools with paid reservations get the spaces available. Without the protection of the reservation protocol private groups and school groups without paid reservations would crowd the event.
We appreciate your understanding our desire to provide a worthy program for our visitors.
- Student Learning History Days applications are accepted by mail only.
- Click here for Student Learning History Days Application.
- Applications are accepted postmarked on or after Sept. 1 for the current school year.
- Fourth Grade students receive priority for this event.
- Student Learning History Days are never canceled due to foul weather including rain and fog.
- Classes cannot be rescheduled once a confirmation or Notice of Reservation is sent.
- A $25 non-refundable deposit per class room is required with application submittal. If class size is less than 12 students, call for deposit amount.
- The remaining fee must be submitted 21 days prior to your visit along with the final confirmation and principal's signature.
Station Tours (2 hours)
10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Station Tours are designed for school groups ranging from 90 to 120 students. The students will be divided into 6 groups where they will rotate through 6 different stations throughout the mission grounds. The stations are 20 minutes long and include demonstrations, touring, and hands-on activities. The station tour will last 2 hours (beginning at 10:00 a.m. and ending at 12:00 p.m., unless specified otherwise through your reservations). Worksheets and photo hunts are not recommended during the station tour. Allow time outside of the station tour for your own activities. Thank you for your cooperation. Click here for Station Tour Application.